Wednesday, May 1, 2013

ROCK You Cancer


I'm damned excited to share this news. For a few years I've been mulling over the idea of merging my love of music and writing fiction with a fundraising effort of some sort. A Rock and Read sort of event similar to the one US author, Stephanie Kuehnert (I Want to be Your Joey Ramone, MTV Books) did back in 2008 - featuring live bands, as well as readings from young adult fiction authors.

Okay, so far that hasn't happened, but I'm working on it. ;0

In the meantime, I've decided to cut my teeth on a smaller, but incredibly cool - and oh so worthy project, ROCK You Cancer.

With the help of a few friends with fingers on the pulse of the Alberta music scene, I've gathered eight bands and singer-songwriters from across Alberta willing, keen, and freaking able to deliver a fantastic compilation CD of diverse sounds. (yeah, okay, my band has one tune on the thing as well.) The talent, musicianship, vocals, hooks, and wicked riffs - I get dizzy thinking about how lucky I've been to rally such formidable troops.

A big THANK YOU to all who have contributed. These bands are ones to watch:

Greg Wood
Calista
Jenie Thai
Maria Sue Roberts
The Gibson Block
The Crook Art
Wilder Than We
Rustic Charm

Being from the small town of Cold Lake, I've tried to retain a local connection. Some of the bands feature homegrown talent that has moved on to bigger cities, and others have local musicians performing on the tunes. So - it's across the province, but grounded from home. I like that. And what I also like - proceeds from ROCK You Cancer will go directly to the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life. The Lakeland area is hosting a Relay on June 21st and a few of the bands from the CD will perform live during the event.



Cancer's claws dig into many lives - you can't live in this world and not have a friend or relative under its shadow. If music soothes the savage beast, maybe our efforts to fundraise and raise our voices will give others hope, inspire, entertain, or even just set a toe tapping.

I'll post the "buy" links as soon as the CD is live. 
Here's the Facebook page - please spread the word.
Support the cause....together let's tell Cancer to ROCK off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? FLEX YOUR WORDS!